Parise Funeral Home Founders:
Carmine & Angela Parise
On May 27, 1941, Carmine J. "C.J." Parise received his undertaker's license, as it was called back then by the state of Pennsylvania. Having been founded when there were eleven funeral directors operating in Carbondale, Parise Funeral Home was able to continue to operate over the years by compassionately serving families of all faiths and nationalities. Today we are one of Carbondale's oldest and most reliable funeral homes still owned by its founding family.
During the 1940's, many families still preferred to have wakes and funerals held from their home. In 1949, Carmine purchased a home located at 89 Farview Street, and converted it into a funeral home.
In 1967, Carmine's son, Louis C. "Chippy" Parise received his funeral director's license. After Carmine's death in 1980, Louis became the sole owner of the business and over the next 20 years he continually expanded the facility to accommodate larger crowds. Today, Parise Funeral Home offers the largest funeral home facility and off-street parking lot in the up valley.
Wade Funeral Home Founders:
Edward & Eleanor Wade
Shifler-Parise Funeral Home Founder:
Glynn C. Shifler
In 1986, Louis purchased, renovated and enlarged the Glynn C. Shiftler Funeral Home in Clifford and renamed it Shiftler-Parise Funeral Home. Today, this location primarily serves families of all faiths in northern Lackawanna and southern Susquehanna counties.
In 1997, Louis's oldest son, Jason C. Parise, received his funeral director's license making him a third-generation funeral director. In 2002, Louis's middle son, Jeffry S. Parise, joined his father and brother in the family business when he received his license. In 2013, Louis's youngest son, Jonathan P. Parise, returned home to assist his father and brothers at both the family's funeral homes and monument company.
In 1997, Monuments by Parise was established as a compliment business to the funeral home. Over time, the business vastly expanded from serving families using our funeral homes to all families throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania requiring memorial services.
In 2016, we moved our monument display from our funeral home to a 5,500-square foot building located on the Scranton Carbondale Highway in Blakely. Our new facility offers the areas only all indoor monument showroom providing families the opportunity to select their memorial in a comfortable environment year-round. We offer families a vast selection of granite and bronze memorials, mausoleums, and a cemetery lettering and cleaning service.
In 2010, Frank Wade (1947-2010) and Christopher Wade of Edward A. Wade Funeral Home of Carbondale merged their business with the Parise family. The merger ensured that the Wade Funeral Home would continue to provide dedicated service to the families that they have served since 1946. Shortly after the merger, Frank died but his son, Christopher continues to serve families from this location.
Ted & Eleanor's Son, Frank J. Wade
Carmine J. Parise left behind a proud and reputable tradition which his family has vastly expanded. His son and grandsons continue to serve their community and its surrounding areas with the same respect and professionalism that Carmine established over seventy five years ago.